Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Day 4

           Today was a day that began with a really heartwarming devotional.  It was called "validation".  It started with a short video, then we sang a worship song, then we chose a person or two to validate (lift up/tell them about what makes them so special).  I chose Nora because she became my friend through babysitting for her family.  We've had many conversations in the past, but crying with her and hearing her appreciation along with me telling Nora all her positive attributes.  I loved starting out my day by getting out my emotions because yesterday I let my emotions get the best of me at the state orphanage.
            We spent a great deal of time today in the Mine Ghetto.  This ghetto was set up with many houses that were basically on top of one another in a sinkhole type of area with a river running down below.  We learned that they called it the Mine because the river was the catch-all from the drains and the people of the mine go down and sift through the water to look for jewelry that they can resell.  It was very hard to walk around this area because the ground was uneven, the stairs (if there were some) were steep!  I enjoyed visiting the homes more than I thought I would.  We gave them food baskets and listened to their stories.  The Guatemalan people are such faith grounded people and they are so free with sharing the love that God has given them.  They have so little yet their hearts are so full with the Holy Spirit!  They are the most thankful people!!!!  We had two jobs while there: helping to build more concrete stairs by mixing concrete to pour into the forms and we gave out hygiene kits and clothing to the citizens.
              Upon leaving the Mine, some of the women who ran the donations blessed us and lifted us up in prayer.  I loved leaving that way...
               When we came back we enjoyed teaching the children at DP/FC (Dorie's Promise/Forever Changed) a bible story and making a craft.
LESSONS LEARNED- Everyone can play soccer, everywhere we go!

1 comment:

  1. Incredible! What a difference you are making in the world!

    ReplyDelete